Are you an outdoor enthusiast, hunter, or gunslinger eager to buy the perfect pair of binoculars for your hunting passion? Then you’re headed in the right direction.
Binoculars come into use for spotting elks or tracing their path in their habitat. Since elk hunting involves a far distance and a wider area, choosing appropriate binoculars that fulfill the good optics requirement is very important.
If you go on searching for binoculars for hunting in the market, a large number of options are available. Each brand claims to have manufactured the best one for you which will leave you in dilemma. So, we have sorted out the Best Binoculars for Elk Hunting and reviewed them in this article.
Here, we’ve closely inspected a wide variety of binoculars and picked out only the best ones based on their attributes for hunting and outdoor adventures. This article also contains guiding tips at the end so that you make an informed decision when you’re purchasing your perfect Elk Hunting pair of binoculars.
7 Best Binoculars For Elk Hunting
1. Vortex Optics Viper HD Roof Prism Binoculars
- 8x magnification and 42mm objective lenses, the Viper HD binoculars have an advanced high density optical system with enhanced anti-reflective lens coating for stunning image quality and top tier light transmission.
- Adjust the multi-position eyecups to maximize custom fit for comfortable viewing with or without glasses. A locking right eye diopter adjusts for focal differences between your eyes.
- Argon purged and o-ring sealed, the Viper HD defies the elements ensuring waterproof and fogproof performance, no matter the conditions.
The Vortex Optics Viper HD Roof Prism Binoculars consist of a rubber-armored frame designed especially for hunting. This durable rubber ensures a firm gripping surface and makes them resilient to external weather conditions.
A compact HD optical system coated with an improved anti-reflective lens on these binoculars guarantees the best image quality when scouting for your prey. And thanks to the dielectric coating on their roof prisms, you can observe a high resolution and sharp image. Their high-density extra-low dispersion glasses also reduce color fringing to reproduce accurate color balance.
These binoculars have multi-position eyecups which can be accommodated to offer longer eye relief. They are filled with argon and O-ring sealed making them waterproof and fog proof.
The Vortex Optics Viper HD Roof Prism Binoculars are available in black and green colors and in different magnification ranges viz. 8×32, 8×42, 10×42 and 12×50. The 10×42 model is best suited for observing elks and deers from far distances during your hunting activities.
- Coated with an improved anti-reflective lens
- High-density extra-low dispersion glasses
- Adjustable multi-position eyecups
- Multi-layered roof prism coating
- Rubber equipped frame
- Argon purged and O-ring sealed
Product dimensions: 5.6 x 4.9 inches
Weight: 24.6 oz
Objective lens: 42 mm
Close distance focus: 5.1 Feet
Field of View: 319 feet/ 1000 yards
Special features: ED glass lenses, Water resistance, Fog resistance, Lifelong warranty
Our Verdict on Vortex Optics Viper HD Roof Prism Binoculars
Featuring high-density ED lenses, the Vortex Optics Viper HD Binoculars offer a bright, clear and properly color calibrated view. Rugged and long-lasting, you can count on these binoculars for your next hunting event.
Though the price may be a bit higher, it does not exceed the amazing design features and the quality of optics these binoculars offer.
2. Bushnell H2O Roof Prism Binoculars
- Quality optics with stunning HD clarity; Exit Pupil: 4.2 millimeter / 0.165 inch
- 100 percent waterproof, O ring sealed and nitrogen purged for reliable, fog free performance
- BaK 4 prisms and multi coated optics offer crisp clear images with improved light transmission
- Non slip rubber armor and soft texture grip absorbs shock and provides a firm grip
- 10x magnification and 42 millimeter objective diameter; 12 foot close focus distance; 17 millimeter eye relief
Designed beautifully with 100% quality and waterproof materials, Bushnell H2O Roof Prism Binoculars consist of H2O BAK4 roof prisms which form crisp and bright images. Its multi-coated optics enhances light transmission for quality vision.
For providing an anti-slip grip, these binoculars have rubber pads and sheathing which are hard-wearing and absorb shock during accidents. They are filled with dry nitrogen and O-sealed for preventing internal condensation of lenses.
The twist-up eyecups allow for easy and quick adjustment of eye relief. The central focusing wheel is easy to reach for fine-tuning the focus.
Two models of Bushnell H2O Binoculars 10×42 and 8×42 are available. Both of them are well appropriate for hunting and other outdoor activities.
- BAK4 prism system
- Multi-coated lenses
- Twist-up eyecups
- Waterproof construction
- Anti-slip rubber-coated body
- Large central focusing knob
Product dimensions: 7 x 6 x 3 inches
Weight: 25 oz
Close distance focus: 12 Feet
Objective lens: 42 mm
Field of View: 305 feet/ 1000 yards
Special features: 100% Waterproof, Limited lifetime warranty
Our Verdict on Bushnell H2O Roof Prism Binoculars
For someone looking for an affordable and comfortable pair of binoculars, these binoculars are really great. They ensure 100% water-resistance and reliable materials so that nothing can hinder your elk hunting adventure.
3. VANGUARD Endeavor ED 10×42 Binoculars
- Extra low dispersion (ED) glass provides exceptional detail and brilliant colors. Advanced multiguard coatings for higher light transmittance even in low light
- Phase-coated BAK4 roof prisms enhance image resolution and edge-to-edge clarity
- 100% waterproof and fogproof
- Magnification: 10x, objective lens diameter: 42mm, field of view: 340 ft./1000 yards, view angle: 6.5 degrees, near focus: 8.2 feet, Eye relief: 16.5 mm, Weight: 25.8 oun
The VANGUARD Endeavor ED 10×42 Binoculars are characterized by extra-low dispersion glass that reduces chromatic aberration and produces crisp images. The advanced multi-guard coatings enhance light transmission by reducing the reflection.
Its 10x magnification is enough to bring you close to your prey. They have 42 mm objective lenses which gather large amounts of light and form brighter and high-quality images even in low lighting conditions.
The lenses of these binoculars are made up of phase-coated BAK4 prisms to form high-resolution images. The three-stage twist-out eyecups provide a long eye relief of 16.5 mm so that people who are glass wearers can also easily use them. Its locking diopter system helps in the easy and non-repeating adjustment of focus.
Built in an open bridge structure, there is enough space between the barrels for comfortable holding. They are filled with dry nitrogen and O-ring sealed which make them waterproof and fog-proof.
- Extra-low dispersion glass
- Advanced multi-guard coatings
- Three stages twist-out eyecups
- Phase coated BAK4 roof prism
- Diopter locking mechanism
- Open bridge design
- Nitrogen purged and O-ring sealed
Product dimensions: 6.06 x 5.12 x 0.08 inches
Weight: 25.8 oz
Close distance focus: 8.2 Feet
Field of View: 340 feet/ 1000 yards
Special features: Waterproof and Fogproof, Premium Lifetime Warranty
Our Verdict on VANGUARD Endeavor ED 10×42 Binoculars
Designed with an open bridge body, the Vanguard Endeavor ED binoculars are rugged and waterproof so that they can withstand rigorous handling for use in extreme environments. For someone looking for mid-range binoculars with great optics and an ergonomic structure, these binoculars are perfect.
4. Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Binoculars
- Rain guard HD water repellent lens coating
- Waterproof and fog proof
- 10x magnification, 42mm objective lens binoculars
- Exceptional optics with ED Prime Glass, Ultra Wide Band Coatings, and RainGuard HD water-repellent lens coating
- Ultra wide field-of-view with long eye-relief; locking diopter
The Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Binoculars feature ultra-low dispersion glass which reduces chromatic dispersion and enhances color depth. The ultra-wideband coating on its optics delivers high contrast and HD quality images.
The rain guard HD technology on the Bushnell Legend Ultra ensures that these binoculars are waterproof and oil repellent. This prevents wrecking of your vision so that you can always get a clear view of your prey. They are lightweight with a strong magnesium chassis.
The diopter can be locked after adjusting the focus so that re-adjustments do not have to be made before each use. The large central knob provides easy and quick customization of focus. They provide a large field of view of about 6.5 degrees.
- Ultra-low dispersion glass
- Rain-guard HD lens coating
- Ultra-wide field of view
- Locking diopter system
- Magnesium chassis
Product dimensions: 8.7 x 6.8 x 5 inches
Close distance focus: 6.5 Feet
Field of View: 340 feet/1000 yards
Special features: Color resolution, Waterproof, Lifetime warranty
Our Verdict on Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Binoculars
Designed with ruggedness in mind, the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Binoculars are robust, sturdy, and also guarantee a lifelong warranty from their manufacturers. So, you can go on your elk hunting adventure without worrying about your binos.
5. Steiner Optics HX Series Binoculars
- HD OPTICS - Incorporate the finest index-matched glass and advanced lens coatings for best-in-glass image clarity.
- FAST CLOSE FOCUS - Central focusing wheel requires minimal rotation for quick, absolute sharpness from close up to infinity.
- NANO PROTECTION - Hydrophobic molecular coating creates a lens surface so smooth water sheets off and dirt, dust, snow and fingerprints are repelled for easy cleaning and a clear view.
- N2 INJECTION SYSTEM - Seals 14-psi pressurized dry nitrogen inside the optic, for fogproof clarity in any condition - from artic cold to desert heat.
The Steiner Optics HX Series Binoculars are another set of binoculars appropriate for hunting. They are composed of the finest index-matched glass which renders crystal clear images. The advanced multi-coated lenses enhance light transmission for forming bright images.
The fast close focus system requires minimum rotation of the focus wheel for quick adjustment of focus from close to infinity. They offer versatile optics with a wide-angle view so that you can spot the elk from their residing area.
They have excellent ergonomics with a durable polycarbonate rubber armored body. This ensures a firm gripping surface and is reliable to use in any weather condition. They are lightweight and can be used for hunting in a varied environment. The Nitrogen injection system seals dry nitrogen which minimizes internal fogging of lenses.
They are available in four different models. They are 10×56, 10×42, 8×42, and 15×56. The large diameter objective lenses collect enough light for creating brighter images even in weak lighting conditions.
- Fine index-matched glass
- Advanced lens coating
- The fast close focus system
- N2 injection system
- NBR durable rubber armored
- Hydrophobic molecular coating
Product dimensions: 7.1 x 5.6 x 3.1 inches
Weight: 42.7 oz
Close distance focus: 8 Feet
Objective lens diameter: 56 mm
Field of View: 330.7 feet/ 1000 yards
Special features: Steiner nano protection
Our Verdict on Steiner Optics HX Series Binoculars
With the advanced nano protection from moisture and dust, Steiner Binoculars offer high definition and quality images. The price value is a little bit higher but you are getting an excellent pair of binoculars with brilliant design features.
6. Celestron – Outland X 8×42 Binoculars
- MULTI-COATED OPTICS AND BaK-4 PRISMS: Multi-coated optics help obtain high resolution and high contrast views, while the prisms made of BaK-4 glass will give you enhanced color fidelity. Enjoy crisp, detailed views and dependable performance with our Outland X all-around binocular
- WATERPROOF AND FOGPROOF: Designed to withstand all weather conditions, our Outland X compact binoculars have been filled and sealed with dry nitrogen gas for rigorous outdoor use without internal fogging of the lenses
- PROTECTIVE RUBBER COVERING: Our binocular is both durable and well-armored; its rugged exterior ensures protection from all outdoor elements while providing a secure, anti-slip gripping surface. The Outland X is also a great birdwatching binocular
Ergonomically designed to be responsive to the needs of outdoor enthusiasts and hunters, Celestron Outland X 8×42 Binoculars have multi-coated optics. This enhances the contrast of the image and forms a detailed view of the object. The BAK4 prism glass lenses help in color balancing.
They have twist-up eyecups which can be easily positioned for adjusting the eye relief. This makes it possible even for glass wearers to comfortably focus on the target. They provide a wide angular view of 6.8 degrees and an eye relief of 18 mm.
These binoculars are lightweight constructed with protective rubber armor that provides an anti-slip grip. Further, the dry nitrogen purged inside them makes them impervious and prevents internal fogging of the lenses.
- Multi-coated glass lenses
- Premium BAK4 prism
- Sealed with dry nitrogen
- Rugged and durable rubber coating
- Twist-up eyecups
- Tripod adapter
Product dimensions: 7 x 3 x 8 inches
Weight: 32 oz
Close distance focus: 13.1 Feet
Field of View: 357 feet/ 1000 yards
Special features: Waterproof, Fogproof, Lifetime warranty
Our Verdict on Celestron Outland X 8×42 Binoculars
Celestron Outland X binoculars are compact and constructed with synthetic rubber armor for resisting the impacts of the external environment. They are economical that is best to use for newbies in hunting.
7. Nikon PROSTAFF 7S 10×30 Binoculars
- Whether youre looking at wildlife or scenery, two things are important: color and clarity The PROSTAFF 7S brings you both, thanks to Fully Multilayer Coated lenses and Phase Correction Coated Roof Prisms
- Even eyeglass wearers will enjoy looking through the PROSTAFF 7S The turn-and-slide rubber eyecups allow anyone to adjust the space between their eye and the binoculars eyepiece, ensuring a full field of view
- The PROSTAFF 7S is comfortable to hold, even in wet conditions, thanks to its rubber armored body The rubber armor also protects the binocular in case it is dropped or handled roughly
The Nikon PROSTAFF Binoculars consist of fully multi-coated Eco lenses which act as anti-reflecting layers and allow more light to transmit. The phase-corrected lenses are made up of roof prisms for forming high-resolution images with better clarity. They have a magnifying power of 10x.
By using the turn-and-slide eyecups, eye relief can be adjusted for providing a wide field of view making it comfortable to use for glass as well as non-glass wearers.
The textured rubber armor body secures the gripping surface for rigorous use in any weather conditions. It also provides shock resistance and makes the binoculars durable.
Lightweight and closely packed, these binoculars are nitrogen-purged and O-ring sealed which wards off moisture and dust from entering them and also prevents internal fogging of lenses.
- Fully multi-layer coated lenses
- Phase corrected roof prism
- Turn-and-slide rubber eyecups
- Filled with dry nitrogen and O-ring sealed
- Ergonomic rubber armored body
Product dimensions: 4.7 x 4.8 x 1.2 inches
Weight: 14.9 oz
Field of View: 314 feet/ 1000 yards
Special features: Lead and Arsenic-free lenses, Water-resistant, Fog resistant
Our Verdict on Nikon PROSTAFF 7S 10×30 Binoculars
The Nikon Prostaff 7S binoculars are lightweight, compact, and ergonomically designed which can be used in harsh environmental conditions. With the fully multi-coated and roof prism system, they deliver a better performance in terms of optics.
The glass lenses are environment friendly which is lead as well as arsenic-free. They are comfortable to use and are available at a reasonable price. However, Nikon ensures no lifetime warranty on these binos which may be a bit disappointing for some people.
Best Binoculars For Elk Hunting Buyer’s Guide
Before you move on to buying the binoculars, you must consider a number of facets. The purpose and price range of your binoculars greatly influence the features in the binoculars. For instance, for elk hunting, you need binoculars with larger magnification, which are sturdy and are weatherproof. Below are some of the features to look for while buying the best binoculars for elk hunting.
It is one of the major functions of binoculars. It is the property of binoculars to magnify the object you are looking for. If you have ever looked out for binoculars, you must have noticed they come with numbers.
The number which comes with ‘x’ is called magnification. Suppose that the binocular is of 10x magnification, which means the binoculars bring you ten times closer to the view than that with the naked eye.
But to assume that larger magnification means that the binoculars are better is misguiding. With a large magnification, the movement of hands is also amplified and hence, a firm view may not be obtained.
The field of view is also greatly reduced with the increase in magnification. So, this will lead to the loss of details while focusing on denser areas.
For hunting purposes, generally 7x to 10x magnification is desired. Otherwise, you will need tripod stands to mount larger magnification binoculars and you definitely won’t be doing that while going out specifically for hunting. Less than 7x would not provide the required amount of magnification to spot the target.
Objective lens size
The power of a binocular also includes the diameter of the objective lens. The number after ‘x’ is the size of the objective lens. The bigger the size of the objective lens, the more is the amount of light collected to form a bright and detailed view.
But the larger size of objective lenses comes with the disadvantage of making the binoculars bulky.
Generally, 42 or 50 mm objective lenses would do fine for hunting purposes.
Field of view
The field of view is ‘A’ feet at 1000 yards means that an area of ‘A’ feet can be viewed at 1000 yards using these binoculars.
If you are out hunting in a wide-open area, then it would be fine even to have a small field of view. But if you are trying to spot your elk in a dense forest, then you will need a full field of view.
You should buy the binoculars in which you don’t have to readjust the field of view most frequently.
Exit pupil can be calculated by dividing the diameter of the objective lens by the magnification. For 10×42 power binoculars, the exit pupil is 4.2 mm.
The diameter of the pupil of the human eye can dilate from 2 mm in normal or bright lighting conditions up to 7 mm in dim lighting conditions.
It is easier and comfortable to view the object using binoculars having an exit pupil greater than the human’s eye pupil.
Quality of image
One of the major purposes of buying binoculars is the quality of optics. If the binoculars do not form a clear, bright, and focused image, it’s of no use. If you are planning to buy binoculars for hunting purposes, then they must contribute to forming crisp, high definition and color corrected vision.
Color balance is a must especially for hunting to differentiate the hunt from their surrounding area.
This property is a must-consider if you are someone who wears glasses. Eye relief is the distance between the eyepiece and your eyes. Binoculars that provide greater eye relief are comfortable to use for glass wearers.
Size and weight
Hunting is an outdoor activity and you don’t want to travel with heavy backpacks. So, the weight of binoculars should also be considered while making a purchase. For this, lightweight and compact binoculars that can easily be fitted into pockets are required.
For a successful hunting experience, you need waterproof, fog proof, and shockproof binoculars. The design construction should be such that it should be rugged, ergonomic, and give better performance even for a long time.
The armoring should secure the grip and must protect the binoculars from external environmental effects. The color of the binoculars should also be considered to ensure that your prey is not alerted.
It is not always true that higher cost binoculars are always the best in quality. Every product has its own pros and cons. The reliability of materials used and extra accessories that comes with the packaging does increase the cost to some extent.
However, there are some binoculars that are reasonably priced enough to meet your requirements. It is advisable to consider the cost-effectiveness before buying them.
It takes a certain amount of research and time to find out the right pair of binoculars for you. With the best pair of binoculars, you can turn your hunting experience into less distressing and more exciting.
For elk hunting, we recommend you to spend a few extra bucks and buy the binoculars which have a tough design and provide excellent optics.
Find other articles on:
7 Best Auto Focus Binoculars | Reviews & Buying Guide
7 Best Binoculars For Whale Watching
8 Best Binoculars for Sporting Events | Reviews & Buying Guides
7 Best Compact Binoculars for Birding and Hiking | Reviews & Buying Guides
7 Best Binoculars Under $200 Reviews