Manufacturer of premium binoculars and optics, Celestron manufactures a variety of binoculars to meet the needs of different people. Normally, the company makes the best binoculars for hunters, bird watchers, and outdoor enthusiasts. In addition to providing images with great contrast, the company also offers true-to-life color and crisp images.
Even when used from a long distance, the optical performance of most Celestron binoculars is impressive. The company uses multi-coated extra-low dispersion ED glass, along with dielectric and phase-correcting coatings on its BAK4 prisms.
To complement the impressive performance, it also has a wide apparent viewing angle that provides a truly immersive experience. It is even possible to take images of objects that are far away using this binocular. Consequently, this is very useful for hunters as well as people who want to watch a sporting event.
We will be reviewing Celestron’s TrailSeeker ED 8×42 binoculars today, so let’s get started.
Celestron – TrailSeeker ED 8×42 Binoculars Overview
What makes Celestron’s TrailSeeker ED 8×42 binoculars so special?
TrailSeeker ED is a binocular designed specifically for outdoor use. Due to its magnesium alloy construction, it is lightweight and corrosion-resistant. The fact that it is accessible by boat makes it incredibly appealing to people who like to travel by boat. Here, the optical tube is filled with nitrogen and is also O-ring sealed to make it waterproof as well as resistant to fogging in case of extreme temperature changes or bad environmental conditions.
Celestron has added tethered front and rear lens caps to this model to add an extra layer of protection as well. In this way, the binocular can react quickly to opportunities without having to worry about losing its caps. A harness system is also located in the binocular so, when you move through challenging terrain or trails, it won’t hang or sway. As a result, the weight will be distributed to your shoulders instead of your neck, so carrying it all day will be much more comfortable.
- The size of the binocular is 140×124 mm
- It weighs 666 grams
- At 1,000 meters, you get a field of view of 142 meters
- This binocular has a close focus of 2.16 m
- The binoculars are both water- and gas-tight
- A limited lifetime guarantee is provided to you
Features of the Celestron – TrailSeeker ED 8×42
Lens System and Optics
- The binocular has an 8x magnification. To provide a comfortable viewing experience, the magnification is coupled with a wide exit pupil and a long eye relief.
- The standard objective lens is 42mm. As a result, it provides bright and clear images regardless of lighting conditions.
- Aside from the light, you also get an Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass that reduces the overall chromatic and spherical aberrations to produce views with true color. There are no effects such as halos, distortion, or even diffraction in the images.
- With the BAK4 prism system, you will get an incredibly crisp, as well as a very clean image.
- An internal surface reflection can be boosted with dielectric prism coatings. The maximum light transmission is 99%. It means that the prism has a very small amount of diffraction. A clearer image, as well as incredible contrast, were made possible.
- Phase-corrected coatings are also used on the lens system to reduce overall internal interference.
- In addition to being multicoated, the lens maximizes the transmission of light, providing accurate colors from the view.
- With a wide 65 degrees field of view, you minimize the distraction that takes place when you hold a high-powered optic. Distance-wise, the binocular offers a pretty wide field of view at 1000 yards of 426 feet.
Usability and Comfort
- A Closed-bridge configuration of the binocular provides a very stable platform, making focusing much easier.
- The binoculars have a large slip-resistant center focus wheel. With this wheel, you can manipulate it under any circumstance. It can also be used with gloves.
- Users can adjust the diopter for super-sharp views and compensate for an optical prescription. The binocular offers a large adjustment range, making it very easy to use.
- You get an eyecup that you can twist up and down with or without glasses.
- The binocular can be mounted on a tripod and has an optional adapter for hands-free viewing as well.
- Its long eye relief improves comfort and reduces eyestrain even during prolonged use.
- In extremely low light conditions, the binocular has a 5.25mm exit pupil that can cover the pupils during opening and dilation. Having this feature on the binocular is very useful.
- Built with lightweight and durable magnesium, the Celestron TrailSeeker ED is an excellent telescope. Furthermore, the exterior has a rubberized texture to provide shock absorption and slip resistance.
- You get an O-ring that is filled with nitrogen and can be sealed properly. The binocular stays fog-free even when subjected to temperature changes and other types of environments.
- There is a tethered ocular and a flip-down objective lens that allow quick response to glassing. Additionally, it keeps the caps out of the way and safe.
- A carry harness is included with this binocular so that you can keep it close to your chest. In addition to being very useful, it also gives the owner a sense of pride and ownership.
The 8x zoom and 42mm objective lens of these binoculars are quite good. That magnesium chassis gives it a really sturdy build. As well as having great optical clarity, the binocular is extremely comfortable to use. The only downside is the slightly expensive price range, but if budget is not a concern you can definitely overlook it.