Athlon Optics is a sports company based in the United States. Products from the company are known for their incredible quality. Their precise products and aggressive pricing make them pretty competitive in the industry. It ranks #1 in our list of the best all-purpose binoculars.
The company has a solid supply chain and tie-ups with a variety of raw materials for making a high-quality final product. Furthermore, this company is famous for its extensive engineering and design team that works on their products, prototypes them, and only then manufactures them. Within the optics industry, Athlon is famous for its ‘R&D’ budget. In this review, we will take a closer look at one of their prime products, the Athlon Optics Midas 8 x 42. This is a really great bino with an incredible overall set of features, pricing, and quality. Let’s get started.
Is Athlon A Trustworthy Company?
Let’s start by asking, why would you trust Athlon? In the optics market, Athlon may not be one of the biggest brands, but it is a brand with tremendous reviews. The majority of people who have bought Athlon products seem to be satisfied with their purchases. Various manufacturers partner with this company, and so many other companies that supply raw materials to them establish close relationships with them. Athlon as a company moves quickly, and their flagship products are quite good in this regard. In particular, the Optics Midas ED uses many of the top-quality features developed by Athlon.
A roof prism system was implemented with so much attention in this mode, and it is considered an industry standard. This is also one of the main selling points of these binoculars. Besides being waterproof, this binocular is quite shockproof as well. The rubber armor is also shock-proof, so the overall lifetime of the product is quite good.
Let’s move on to the review!
Athlon Optics Midas ED Overview
- The Athlon Midas ED Binocular comes with an optic lens of magnification 8x. It is a static magnification.
- Lens Diameter – 42 mm
- Eye Relief- 15.2m
- Angular Field of View – 6.5 degrees
- Field of view (in yards) – 1000 yards
- Close focus – 2.5m
- Total Weight – 25 ounces
- In addition to its ED glass, the binoculars come with a bright, sharp image that is not blurry. Overall, this image is quite good.
- The Enhanced Spectrum Coating here is a dielectric coating with a multilayer prism that covers around 99% of the picture size and allows for incredibly fine detail while also providing really sharp images.
- Moreover, the lens system is supported by a phase-corrected prism with high contrast and clear pictures.
- It provides a bright image from all angles due to its BaK4 prism. There is a slight improvement in image quality.
- For transmitting better brightness as well as clarity, the lens system is fully multi-coated.
- Lenses have an impressive XPL coating that prevents dirt and dust from accumulating on the exterior.
- Magnesium is used in the binocular body and this makes it stand out from the rest. It is lightweight and strong at the same time.
- Despite accidentally dropping them into the water, these binoculars will still work.
- The binocular is constructed of aluminum, but the aluminum used here is aircraft-grade, which is much stronger than ordinary aluminum.
Comfort and Usability
- The first feature of this binocular that makes it comfortable is its long and wide eye relief.
- Besides being able to adjust the diopter, it also has a locking knob that prevents accidental movement. This is a very useful quality of life setting.
- Argon purging is included with this binocular. It provides them with thermal stability and improved waterproofing. Argon has a scientific application. The molecules are bigger than those of nitrogen, so it provides more durability.
- For enthusiasts who seek to observe nature and observe insects and butterflies, this close focus feature of the binocular is very useful.
- There is a gap in the middle of the eyecups that allows you to adjust eye relief according to preference.
With its 8x zoom and 42 mm objective lens size, the Athlon Optics Midas ED binocular is ideal for anyone buying it. For just over three hundred dollars, you get an incredible binocular that can compete with products that cost thousands of dollars or more.
Along with its optics, the Athlon Midas ED has a solid build. It can withstand all types of humid, dusty, and hostile environments. With these binoculars, you can view the environment no matter what the weather is like, whether it is raining or snowing. This article also focuses quite well. An even range of depth is provided. Focus is also reliable and handles everything smoothly
Another great feature is that this binocular is easy to use and comfortable to hold. It is without a doubt recommended.